Continue reading “MBM: Querying, the Method to the Madness by Chantele Sedgwick”
Today is the first official day of MARCH BOOK MADNESS.
Here’s the Schedule:
- Lynn Wiese Sneyd: Thurs, March 8, Tips on Querying
- Tobi Summers: Tues, March 13, Plotting vs. Plodding
- JoLynne Lyon: Thurs, March 15, Marketing: What Not to Do
- Cassie Mae: Tues, March 20, 8 Editing Tips
- Jessica Khoury: Thurs, March 22, Editing Advice
- Tricia Pease: Tues, March 27th, Reading For Writers
- Sharon Belknap: Thurs, March 29, For the Love of Reading
I feel very lucky to have Lynn Wiese Sneyd here, talking about querying. I personally have not queried any agents since I worked directly with Deseret Book on Sadie, so I know very little on the subject except that it can be done and it can be done well. Thank you, Lynn, for being willing to give us some advice and I’ll let you take over.
Lynn: It took me six months to get up the nerve to write my first query letter. Fortunately, I stumbled upon a book that guided me along the uneven path through the dark forest – How to Write Irresistible Query Letters by Lisa Collier Cool. I studied, highlighted, and almost memorized this seminal work. Finally I wrangled the courage to pen a query. Boom! It hit a home run, scored an agent and soon after a publisher. Needless to say, to this day Lisa Collier Cool and her book remain my heroes and I still follow her formula. (Lisa’s book is available on Amazon http://amzn.to/vfxKKF and you can follow her on Twitter at @LisaCollierCool.)
Continue reading “March Book Madness: Tips on Querying with Lynn Wiese Sneyd”