The info is up on my favorite writing conference. It will be September 20th, in Kansas City. I’ve been to this conference the last two years and plan to go this year as well. Check out who will be there, besides me. :)
Hey awesome writers,
LDStorymakers just hosted a writer’s conference in Utah the beginning of May. There were close to 500 attendees, with agents, authors, and editors from all over. I heard it was amazing. I wanted to go so badly, but the timing didn’t work out.
But, there’s good news.
The Storymakers Conference is so popular, they’ve opened another venue. Last year was their first year, and it was held in the great Midwest. And guess what? They’re doing it again this year.
I’m so, so, so excited.
Here are the details so you can save the date and plan ahead:
- Hotel rooms are available for conference guests at the special rate of $84 per night. Please reference the Storymakers Midwest Writers Conference when booking your room. This rate is only available for reservations made before August 30th.
- Registration Fee: $95, includes all classes, conference materials, lunch and dinner.
2013 Keynote Speakers:
Side note: I LOVE their books. They’re both amazing authors doing exciting things on the national book stage. If you’re looking for some fun summer reading, I loved “My Unfair Godmother” by Janette Rallison and “On Little Wings” by Regina Sirois. “My Unfair Godmother” wins my vote for best prologue/1st chapter surprise. I loved the way she started it. And “On Little Wings” has some of the most beautiful writing. Both are YA books that will make you smile. (Janette Rallison also writes under the name C. J. Hill.)
I can’t wait to hear from both authors!
Additional Conference Presenters Include . . .
- Traci Hunter Abramson
- Rebecca Belliston
- Don Carey
- Danyelle Ferguson
- John Ferguson
- Tamara Hart Heiner
- Heather Justensen
- Gregg Luke
- Lynn Parsons
- Matt Peterson
Did you notice anyone special on that list?
Okay, okay, they’re all special people, and you should check out their links. But . . . did you catch my name? Yikes! I’ll be presenting this year at the writer’s conference. I’m excited and nervous.
Now you have to come so you can attend my classes and make funny faces at me. (Actually, no weird faces please. Or stuck-out tongues. Or rotten tomato throwing.)
My two classes are:
1) Social Media for the Anti-social Author
- For the anti-social author, using social media can be overwhelming. Is it really necessary? This class will delve into Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and Pinterest. We’ll discuss: 1) How to use social media to get the word out about your books without annoying people, 2) Which social platforms reach which groups of people, and 3) How to maximize your presence while minimizing your time/pain. Who knows. You just might become a social (media) butterfly.
2) Is That My Voice? Finding Your Character’s Personality Through Strong Dialogue
- Creating unique voices for your characters is a challenge. Every character has personality, experiences, and little quirks that affect their speech – or at least they should. If your teens sound like your grannies, this class is for you. We’ll explore how to add depth to your characters through strong, personality-driven dialogue, allowing you to show — rather than tell — your readers who they are.
You can register here, so mark the date and spread the word.
Hope to see you there!